According to Filipino media Philstar, China is planning to introduce Filipino domestic helpers to the country, starting with the five major cities including Beijing, Shanghai, and Xiamen.
China Offers Salary Over Two Times Higher Than Hong Kong’s Standard
China intends to offer up to 100k Peso (about HKD15.7k) monthly salary for the Filipino domestic helpers in China, which is over two times of what Hong Kong is currently paying their helpers (HKD4,310). A delegation from China will visit the Philippines in September for further negotiations on the deployment.
English Fluency of Filipino Helpers In Hot Demand
“One of the reasons why China wants to hire Filipino domestic helpers, in particular, is that we are proficient in English and that helps to improve the English speaking skills of Chinese household children.” claimed the officials from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in the Philippines.
The Mainland Chinese Netizens Are Saying…
The Minimum Allowable Wage for foreign domestic helpers in Hong Kong is $4,310 per month, while mainland Chinese household employers would have to pay a monthly salary more than double of that amount. There’s a heated debate among the mainland Chinese citizens over the internet:
- Filipino maids are professional with good working ethics. Their monthly salaries are supposed to be higher than that of our national maids. That would improve the quality of the domestic helper market in general.
- There are a lot of women in the rural areas in China. Can’t our country train some of these women to be specialists in household services? Or even establish home economics courses in universities? It is the responsibility of our government to preserve the labour market to our own Chinese domestic workforce.
- The nanny management in China is a mess. Filipino maids are so much better, but the fees should be set according to the market standard.
- Price for Filipino maids are higher but it’s definitely safer. Chinese maids kill and steal. You got to hire a security guard hiring just one Chinese domestic helpers. The price then would not be that much of a difference after all. Pick yourself.
- Hiring a Filipino maid = Hiring a 24 hours English tutor.